Sunday, April 20, 2014

Examining Codes of Ethics

Early Childhood professionals are governed by the code of ethics from NAEYC (National Association for the Education of Young Children and DEC (the Division of Early Childhood of the Council for Exceptional Children).

The following are the ideals from the code of ethics that are the most significant to me as an early childhood professional:

The first topic that stands out to me in the NAEYC code of ethics is that early childhood professionals have an ethical responsibility to children. Ideal I-1.5 says
To create and maintain safe and healthy settings that foster children's social, emotional, cognitive, and physical development and that respect their dignity and their contributions. (NAEYC, 2005, p.2)

This ideal is significant to my professional life because the purpose of early childhood is to give children the foundation and the tools to succeed in society. In order for children to grow up to be successful individuals, they need to be well developed socially, emotionally, physically, and have thinking skills. In my professional life, I want to give all the children that I encounter these tools.

The second topic that stands out to me in the NAEYC code of ethics is that early childhood professionals have an ethical responsibility to the community and society. Collective Ideal I-4.4 says      
To work through education, research, and advocacy toward a society in which all young children have access to high-quality early care and education programs. (NAEYC, 2005, p. 7)

This ideal is important to my professional life because I believe that our communities need to work with families to provide all children with good early childhood programs regardless of color, religion, and economic status. I want to help provide children with those resources in the community so they can have the support they need.

The third principle that stands out to me comes from the DEC code of ethics is Responsive Family Centered Practices. Ideal 1 says
We shall demonstrate our respect and appreciation for all families' beliefs, values, customs, languages, and culture relative to their nurturance and support of their children toward achieving meaningful and relevant priorities and outcomes families' desire for themselves and their children. (DEC, 2009, p. 3)

This ideal is significant to my professional career because all families are different and have something valuable to add to the learning experience. Family values contribute to each child's being. If I show that I respect what the parents believe in, I show the child that he/she is important and what they believe is also important.
References

Division for Early Childhood. (2009, August). Code of ethics. Retrieved from https://class.waldenu.edu/bbcswebdav/institution/USW1/201440_04/MS_MECS/EDUC_6005/Week%207/Resources/Resources/embedded/dec_codeofethics.pdf

NAEYC. (2005, April). Code of ethical conduct and statement of commitment. Retrieved from http://www.naeyc.org/files/naeyc/file/positions/PSETH05.pdf

1 comment:

  1. I have found that sharing an interest and respect for families and their goals and ideals has opened so many doors and created powerful relationships between myself and families.It has gone a long way towards helping the child succeed. I had a parent who I was warned could be a handful and to ask for help from administration if I needed. I found instead a passionate parent who was advocating for their child. Once I took the opportunity to listen to her and to share my feedback based on what she shared and what I had observed of the student she felt validated.She trusted that I wanted what was best for her child as well. From that point on she was very amendable to suggestions from other teachers she had received prior to working we me and had rejected because trust wasn't established.

    ReplyDelete